What to do if you are Falsely Accused of a Sex Crime in Arizona

, by Bruce Blumberg

It isn’t unusual for someone to be falsely accused of a sex crime in today’s society. A child caught in a divorce and angry at one parent might lash out by falsely accusing the other parent. An angry spouse involved in a contentious child custody suit might accuse the other spouse of sexual abuse to keep custody of the child. Whatever the circumstances, the first step is in understanding that this is an extremely serious accusation. The consequences can be life shattering. Possible outcomes include:

  • Time in jail or prison

  • Placed on probation for an extended period, or for life

  • Required to register as a sex offender

  • Loss of employment, professional licenses, custody of children

  • Face a civil law suit for damages

If you are arrested, do not answer any questions without an attorney present. Remember, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. Remember that if you demand an attorney, but cannot afford one, the police cannot continue to question you if you want to use a court appointed attorney. If you do have the funds, you should immediately hire a reputable attorney, with years of experience defending against these types of accusations. An attorney can quickly begin providing you with advice and direction. If you haven’t been arrested, leave immediately and refuse to answer questions then consult with an attorney as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, these kinds of cases are expensive, especially if you face a criminal or violent charge. Begin gathering the money you will need to pay for your defense as soon as possible.

Take the time to learn about the accusations against you and why your defense team may suggest certain measures.

No matter what the situation is, your first step should be to immediately hire an attorney who can help guide you through the difficult process of defending yourself against these charges.